Saturday, April 4, 2009

Is there any reason to upgrade to Ubuntu 9.04?

I was looking at the feature list today for Ubuntu 9.04, which is being released later this month. Is is just me or are there only 3 real features coming up in the new version, 2 of them attributed to GNOME:
  • Brasero burning software (I guess it has a use to people who actually use their burners, but eh)
  • Better multiple monitor support (Something I will probably need)
The only real one attributed to Ubuntu itself is the new notification system, which sort of seems like a knockoff itself. I've been looking forward to a new release of Ubuntu, to watch as it edges closer to the competition, but it seems like this engine has stalled.

Prove me wrong. Why are you going to be (or not going to be) upgrading to Ubuntu 9.04? What features are you looking forward to? How do you see the future of Ubuntu?

2 comments:

  1. Are you completely ignoring the availability of the ext4 filesystem? With ext4 and the 9.04 beta, my computer goes from grub to gdm in 7 seconds. That's reason enough for me to upgrade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ext3 will still be the default filesystem though. I installed the beta on my computer with ext4 and only had a reduction of about 5 seconds to the boot time. nothing really special. Its in there, but the developers dont even seem sure that they want it in there.

    But thats one reason.

    ReplyDelete